Wednesday 15 April 2009

How would Mr Spock engage in the subject of equality?

My friend and me were yelling at each other today. About when we were youngster and when his father took him and me to our first football match. And what it was like growing up in 1970,1980 and about racism. I was telling him about the first time I went to a football match in the 1979, with him and his dad and the match was Birmingham City versus West Bromwich Albion. Team of the three degrees of Cuinningham, Regis, and Batson at the height of their fame their were parading the skill at St Andrew that day and I remember the day as it was yesterday. When the team took to the field the then crowd roared with abuse to the then three degrees and shower them with bananas and verbal abuse of go back were you come from and then started to sing that famous song that I never ever forgot there is “no Black on the Union Jack”. I remember this middle age white man sing this at top of his voice standing right next to me with his veins standing out and eyes wide and spit coming out of his mouth and then turning to me and saying not you son. I have to emit l was glad he said that to me because I was feeling pretty scared at this time and my friend at the time just carry on sing it. And said after the match that was a good match was it. I said to him what do you think of the chanting of No Black on the union Jack he said at the time it was just a bit of fun.

For me this reinforce to all black people that to remember our place in the pecking order of society. We were discussing our different viewpoints of living in the same time and location in the inner city of Birmingham and being form different sides of the fence so to speak I was Black of West Indian parents and him White of English parents and discuss some of social norm that we were brought up with like as a black man l would need to work twice as hard as a White man to achieve anything in this world. My parents try to help me and motivate me to take what opportunities that came my way. Think about the phrase for a minute “as a black man l would need to work twice as hard as a white man”. This was done with good intention not with malice.

However the affect did not really help the intended outcome what I witness reinforce what I saw so my educational years had a lot of challenges from both side of the fence for educational system and me and with the teachers. When I discuss with my friend I had to agree thing have improved hundred percent from that time my answers is yes. However to have a discussion about prejudice in Britain today is still seen as a taboo subject because equality as a subject has an emotional feeling attached to it and a lot of people forgotten this and think were just talking about equality like how Mr Spock would do in a episode of Star Trek. So I said to my friend if he remembered Star Trek the series and individual episodes made strong comments on sexism and feminism, racism and improving race relations, all major social issues during the late 1960's, and to a different degree, social issues of today. Of course not every single episode makes a social commentary, but throughout the series, characters, themes, and of course, individual issues were look at to begin with, the crew of the Enterprise was racially mixed. "The ship had to be interracial because it represented all of mankind. So how can the human race ever hope to achieve friendship within communities when we can’t even make friends with it self never mind alien races?

If Mr Spock were to talk about the subject of equality. He would probably respond by stating that there is nothing emotional about equality. Race relations have improved greatly, although problems still exist. Still, hate groups exist despite social and legal pressure to stamp them out. Tensions have eased somewhat among certain section of society, but possibility of conflict in neighbourhoods still exists. Star Trek reminds me that these social issues are timeless for our society, and if our society is to progress to the day when we can peacefully explore and co exist in society, these issues must be finally and absolutely resolved for all our sake.

  • Lets us all start having open discuss about these issues?
  • What you think?

No comments:

Post a Comment